The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has ordered the demolition of houses and other structures built on designated waterways in Abuja following recent flooding in parts of the nation’s capital.
Wike gave the directive on Tuesday during a press briefing at his office after inspecting areas affected by flooding caused by heavy rainfall.
The minister said his inspection revealed that some property owners had blocked channels designated for water flow under the Abuja Master Plan.
«“And certainly, we have gone there, and we have seen how people have blocked channels where in the master plan, that is the right way where a channel is supposed to be. People, by their positions, have blocked it, believing that nothing will happen,” Wike said.»
He said the recent flooding had exposed the consequences of obstructing waterways, warning that structures built on designated water channels would be removed.
«“Now you have done your own by blocking the water channel, and nothing has happened. Thank God the flood has come; it has drawn our attention to the place. Now, something will happen. I am going to bring those houses down. Any house that falls on the water channel will go down.”»
Wike gave the FCT Development Control Department until Saturday to take action against structures found on waterways.
«“From today to Saturday, if Development Control likes, let them find any excuses. If they like, let them find excuses—too bad. They can’t. We will demolish all those houses found on the water channel,” he said.»
The minister said the demolition exercise would not be influenced by the status or political connections of property owners.
«“Some of them are Senators, some of them are big men. The next thing you’ll see is campaigns now: ‘Oh, why is he doing this during the election?’ That is the next campaign you will see now. Stop it! We have finished elections. Where is the election? There is no election. All those houses will go down,” he said.»
Wike added:
«“Heaven will not fall; rather, heaven will fall if that peace, that right thing, has not been done.”»
The inspection followed flooding recorded in parts of Abuja after heavy rainfall on Saturday.
During the inspection, an FCT Administration official, Olayinka, said in a post accompanying video footage that one of the affected locations was a drainage area that had been allocated but revoked in 2011, before a structure was subsequently built on it.
The FCT Administration has also been reviewing aspects of the Abuja Master Plan to reflect current realities and has commenced measures aimed at improving drainage infrastructure and preventing obstructions to waterways.
